Many people are looking for the best way to detox the body and “flush” their colon, hoping to lose weight. Engaging in a 7 day fast is a great detox method, because it allows the digestive system to shut down, and the process of detoxification to take place. Before starting a 7 day cleanse for weight loss, it is best to prepare the body with a detox diet. Certain foods are great to stimulate the digestive fire and encourage regular bowel movements, while others will boost detoxifying enzymes. Fiber rich food plays an important role in healthy digestion and weight loss. Eating meals that contain a lot of fiber also reduces the risk of developing diabetes, heart disease and diabetes.
When you plan your meal, make sure to avoid processed food and ready to serve meals. Prefer whole plant foods to animal based products. Doing a colon cleanse detox involves choosing the food you will eat carefully. Read labels and buy organic products when you can. Your regular diet should be composed of green vegetables, cruciferous, beans, starchy vegetables, fruit, whole grains, nuts, seeds and spices.
Here are 5 foods to add in your grocery cart.
1. Broccoli is a cruciferous vegetable that is known for its antioxidant properties. It can detox the colon from pollutants, prevent DNA damage and certain cancers, and boost the detox enzyme activity of the liver. Other cruciferous vegetables include cabbage, kale, cauliflower, bok choy, arugula, radishes, Brussel sprouts.
2. Collard greens are also part of the cruciferous family, and can help keeping LDL cholesterol levels normal. LDL is the bad cholesterol that is linked to the formation of atherosclerotic plaque. Just like other leafy greens, collard greens are packed with fiber, vitamins and minerals. You should plan to eat at least two portions of greens daily.
3. Lemon is rich in antioxidant Vitamin C, just like all citrus that are known for their detoxifying powers. Use lemon as a salad dressing instead of a commercial one that is full of added sugar and salt. When mixed with iron-rich plant foods, Vitamin C is the best for boosting the absorption. Drink a full glass of lemon water in the morning to activate your digestion and cleanse your colon.
4. Beets contain pigments called betalains, responsible for their red colour, and give strong anti-inflammatory and anti-fungal properties. They help repairing cells in the liver, our best detox organ. Raw beetroot juice is excellent mixed with carrot and apple juice. This is better than taking antioxidant supplements.
5. Onions and garlic, from the allium family of veggies, are packed with flavonoids. They encourage the production of glutathione, our liver’s antioxidant king! Onions and garlic are also used as a natural treatment to kill candida and parasites. They both have anti-fungal properties and are great at improving immunity.